I have not made this cake for a long time as my family always prefer chocolate cake. Few months ago when I made it again, my daughter kept asking for more and more. I packed it for her lunch or serve as an afternoon tea. She likes the buttery taste with the apricot glaze. While I'm recovering from a recent operation, she makes this for us under the guidance of her grandmother and it tastes as good as mine. This recipe is based on the recipe I obtained from the Cakes & Slices Cookbook published by the Australian Women's Weekly.
zest of a whole lemon
2/3 cup castor sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 apples
For the glaze:
1 teaspoon gelatine
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons apricots jam
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm springform pan.
- Cream butter, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted flours and milk. If it is still too thick, add a little of milk. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Peel apples, cut into 9 pieces, remove cores. Make lengthways cuts into the round sides of apple pieces, cutting about three quarters of the way through. Do not cut through.
- Arrange the apple pieces round side up around edge of the cake. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until cooked.
- Sprinkle gelatine over hot water, add jam. Spread half jam mixture over hot cake, cool cake in pan. Remove from pan, brush with remaining jam mixture.
砂糖 3/4 杯
自發粉 1 杯
普通麵粉 1/2 杯
牛奶 1/3 杯
蘋果 1 1/2 個
- 預熱焗爐 180c，預備一個 20cm 的圓形蛋糕盆。放上蛋糕紙。
- 蘋果削皮，去心, 切成９份。每一份用刀打直切３至４下，但不要切斷。