I would say apple is one of the best winter dessert. They are never too sweet and is always so satisfying. Cooked apple is also easier to digest and contains good fibre.
This rose apple is quick and easy to make and looks as pretty as a real rose. It's an ideal food for the last minute entertainment.
For the apple crumble, I got the idea making it after seeing it selling at the local bakery. When my son had it, he asked if they were the frozen apple tarts from the supermarket. Oh, yes and no, I use the ready made frozen tart cases and make the filling using fresh apples. They are also a good snack to have anytime of the day.
Thanks for the new "like" at my Facebook page! Have a good weekend!
(make about 11)
3 Fuji apples
2 sheets of puff pastry
2-3 tablespoons apricot jam
1 -2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut the apple into halves. Use a knife to remove the core. Then slice vertically into thin slices.
- Place the apple into a microwavable bowl, add the lemon juice and water nearly cover the top. Microwave for about 3 minutes then another 2-3 minutes or until the apple is soft enough to roll up but not over cooked. Then drain the apple.
- Mix the jam with water and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Cut each sheet of pastry into 5-6 portions. 5 would be easier the roll up. Spread with some jam then lay the apple slice slightly above the top edge (about 1cm) with the skin side facing up.
- Overlapping each piece, sprinkle with cinnamon then fold the bottom pastry upward and roll up the rose starting from the left to the right. Place them into a greased 12 holes muffin tray. Repeat the process until you finish all the pastry.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190c for 25 minutes or until the pastry turns golden.
Apple Crumble Tarlets
4 ready made frozen tartlet cases
1 green apple
1 teaspoon sugar
for the crumble:
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
- Peel, cored and cut apple into small chuck. Cook in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Cook until the water evaporated, add sugar and stir well.
- Put the flour and sugar into another bowl. Rub into butter until resemble crumb.
- Spoon the apple into cases, then sprinkle with the crumb.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about 15-20 minutes until the topping turns golden.