Saturday, August 28, 2010
Zucchini Pie with Sweet Potato & Rocket Salad
Ingredients for Zucchini Pie:
1 large zucchini, grated
1 large carrot, peel and grated
1 cob of corn, cut kernels from cob
1/4 red capsicum, finely diced
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1/2 cup low-fat grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup self-raising flour
salt & pepper
Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased flan. Bake for 1hour in a moderate oven (180c) or until the top turns brown. Leave in the oven for 15 minutes before taking out.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato & Rocket Salad:
1 medium sweet potato, peel and cut into 1.5cm cubes
80g of rocket & baby spinach leaves
1 tablespoon pine nuts
1 tablespoon bottled wholegrain mustard
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Lay a piece of non-stick baking paper onto the baking tray. Put the sweet potato onto the tray and drizzle some olive oil over it. Roast the sweet potato into the oven for about 30 minutes while the zucchini pie is cooking. Do not over cook the sweet potato, it should not be too soft. Meanwhile, wash the rocket leaves and drained. Toss through the rest ingredients with the sweet potato, rocket leaves and extra olive oil until well combine. Serve with the zucchini pie.
Monday, August 23, 2010
My mother-in-law is one of the kind that can bring magic in baking. We have got two over-riped bananas and some frozen raspberry left in the freezer. And this is what she can create! Amazingly, none of the favour over powering the others and I like the crispy sugary topping. I have been wondering what sort of choc chips to put on top as dark choc chips usually go with banana and white choc chips go with raspberry. At the end, I put one kind of choc chips on each muffin alternatively to suit individual taste. I wonder how many muffins would be left when the kids come back from school.
Banana, Raspberry & Choc Chips Muffins
(Make 9 muffins)
2 cups plain flours
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup melted butter
1 1/4 cup milk
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup frozen raspberry
dark choc chips and white choc chips
extra brown sugar
Preheat over at 200C. Mixed plain flours, baking powder and sugar together until well combined. Add in banana, egg and gradually stir in butter and milk and finally stir in raspberry. Fold gently and do not over mix. Spoon batter into the muffin case until 3/4 full. Sprinkle few choc chips and 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar on each muffin. Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
1 隻蛋, 打散
3/4 杯牛油, 溶化
1 1/4 杯摀爛的熟香蕉
倒蛋糕糊到鬆餅模直至 3/4 滿。
灑上黑白朱古力粒，最後每個鬆餅灑上 1/2 茶匙黃糖。
放入焗爐烘 20-25 分鐘。
Sunday, August 22, 2010
I have not made this cake for a long time as my family always prefer chocolate cake. Few months ago when I made it again, my daughter kept asking for more and more. I packed it for her lunch or serve as an afternoon tea. She likes the buttery taste with the apricot glaze. While I'm recovering from a recent operation, she makes this for us under the guidance of her grandmother and it tastes as good as mine. This recipe is based on the recipe I obtained from the Cakes & Slices Cookbook published by the Australian Women's Weekly.
zest of a whole lemon
2/3 cup castor sugar
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 apples
For the glaze:
1 teaspoon gelatine
2 tablespoons hot water
2 tablespoons apricots jam
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm springform pan.
- Cream butter, rind and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beat until combined.
- Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in sifted flours and milk. If it is still too thick, add a little of milk. Spread into the prepared pan.
- Peel apples, cut into 9 pieces, remove cores. Make lengthways cuts into the round sides of apple pieces, cutting about three quarters of the way through. Do not cut through.
- Arrange the apple pieces round side up around edge of the cake. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until cooked.
- Sprinkle gelatine over hot water, add jam. Spread half jam mixture over hot cake, cool cake in pan. Remove from pan, brush with remaining jam mixture.
砂糖 3/4 杯
自發粉 1 杯
普通麵粉 1/2 杯
牛奶 1/3 杯
蘋果 1 1/2 個
- 預熱焗爐 180c，預備一個 20cm 的圓形蛋糕盆。放上蛋糕紙。
- 蘋果削皮，去心, 切成９份。每一份用刀打直切３至４下，但不要切斷。
Tuesday, August 3, 2010
Lemon & Thyme Chicken with Roasted Country Vegetables
5 chicken drumsticks
clove of garlic, finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lemon
4 sprigs of thyme
1 medium sweet potato
1 small cut pumpkin
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C. Wash the chicken drumsticks and lay them onto the roast pan.
- Peel the skin from potato and sweet potato and chopped into 2cmx2cm cube size of chuck. Chop off the skin from the pumpkin and cut into the same size as the potato.
- Arrange the vegetable around the chicken and squeeze in lemon juice over the chicken. If you want more lemony flavour, add in 1 teaspoon of lemon rind. Season the chicken and vegetable with garlic, 2 teaspoons of salt, little pepper and 2 tablespoon of oil. (If you like buttery flavour, substitute the oil with butter) Put the sprigs of thyme over the chicken and roast for 1 hour or until the chicken and vegetable are cooked. In my case, take the thyme out from the oven after 30 minutes. Rotate the chicken and vegetable 2 or 3 times.
- Trim the end bit of the beans and cut it in half. Cook or steam the beans with salted water until cooked. Serve it with the chicken and roast vegetable.
南瓜 1/4 個
- 焗爐预熱 200c. 把洗乾淨的雞腿排好在烤盤。
- 馬鈴薯和番薯削皮，切 2cmx2cm 大粒。南瓜切皮，切同状。
- 把薯仔，南瓜配好雞腿週圍。榨檸檬汁於雞腿，如想檸檬味更燶，可加少許檸檬皮。然後加入蒜頭、鹽、胡椒粉和少許油。(可以用牛油代替菜油增加香味) 最後加上百里香焗 1小時 或直致雞全熟，焗時反轉雞和菜數次。