Australia's Father's Day is on the first Sunday in September, it is also the first week of Spring. Gardening and hardware tools are the popular gift ideas for this occasion. We have just put in new mulch for our garden and I have planted some pansies and roses in the pots. What a life to have by having these sweet, fluffy pancakes at the veranda surrounded by blooming flowers this Father's Day!
Banana Pancakes with Butterscotch Sauce
Ingredients for pancakes:
1 cup self-raising flour
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 thinly sliced banana
extra sliced banana and whipped cream to serve
Ingredients for Butterscotch Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup low-fat thickened cream
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add sugar.
- Make a well in the middle of the bowl, add in egg and then gradually stir in buttermilk, maple syrup, melted butter until smooth. Finally fold in sliced banana and rest for a few minutes.
- Grease a non-stick pan with butter. Change the heat from high into medium. Spoon or pour the batter into the pan until the pancake is about 8cm in diameter. Flap over the pancake when bubbles appear around the edges. Cook pancake until golden brown on both sides. Make 12 pancakes.
- To prepare the butterscotch sauce: Melt butter and sugar in a pan. Stir in cream. Bring to the boil, keep stirring. Set aside.
- To serve: Stack 3 pancakes on top of each other on a plate and drizzle the warm butterscotch sauce over the pancake, serve with extra sliced banana and whipped cream.