Friday, January 21, 2011

Veggie Burger


There used to be a vegetarian cafe near my work.  I walked pass it many many times but never want to walk in for a meal as my perception told me that western vegetarian food was just not my type of food.  I would much prefer a meaty burger instead.  Until one day, my cousin suggested us to have a try.....  It's menu was very simple, it only serve burger, fresh juice and some cake and slices.  It took me a while to choose my burger from a choice of chick peas, soy beans, lentils etc.... I ordered a chick peas burger and carrot juice and I would never forget it's tasty almond slice.  That was a big step for me to get to learn and enjoy western vegetarian food and eating a variety of salad.  Thinking of all the natural ingredients and goodness from the vegetarian meal makes me feel healthy and being kind to the animals.  Unfortunately, the cafe was sold not long after my discovery of vegetarian food but my love for veggie meal had grown ever since.     


Veggie Burger

Serve 4

Ingredient:
4 hamburger buns, buttered
1/4 cup cucumber, sliced
2 whole tomato, sliced
1/4 cup red onion, sliced
1 cup alfalfa
natural Greek yoghurt  
Thai sweet chilli sauce

Veggie patties:
2 big potato
1 small carrot or sweet potato
1/4 cup of tin chickpea, coarsely mashed
1/4 cup corn kernels
1/4 cup peas
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2-3 tablespoons corn flour
salt & pepper
bread crumb from old bread

Method:
  1. Peel the potato and cut into chuck pieces.  Peel the carrot and cut into 1cm cubes.  Bring 2 cups of water to boil in a saucepan and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the boiling water.  Cook potato and carrot in the saucepan until well cooked.  Drain excess water and coarsely mash the cooked vegetables.  
  2. Place the chick peas, corn, peas and onion into a mixing bowl, add in the mashed vegetables.  Then add in the flour and seasoning until the ingredients are all well combined.  Add a bit more flour if it comes too lose.  Divide the ingredients into 4 portions.  Place a portion of the ingredients into a ball shape, generously coated with bread crumb and flatted it into a patty shape.  Repeat the process to make 4 patties.
  3. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in pan and cook the patties until golden brown.  Add a bit more oil if needed as the bread crumb needs plenty of oil to get crispy.  Be careful of the popping corn when it gets heat up.
  4. Lightly toasted the burger, then arrange it with tomato, cucumber, onion and alfalfa. Top it with the patty and drizzle it with sweet chilli sauce and yoghurt.  Serve it with seasoned salad.







No comments:

Post a Comment