Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Buttermilk Scones with Strawberries & Cream


We had a rainy Sunday and I felt like having scones.  I like cream scones so I usually use cream instead of milk for the recipe.  I never have full confidence in making scone as it never come out perfect as I could wish for.  I have mastered the taste using cream but the texture is a problem.  It could be too dry, undercooked or don't have the little split in the middle.  My day old scone becomes dry and hard that it could nearly knock someone's head down if they got hit.  The best scone I've ever had is from the country bakery near our town.  It has the creamy taste and soft texture that is perfect to make for Devonshire Tea.  I find this recipe using buttermilk and it's worth a try as buttermilk is low-fat and it makes fluffy pancake, that could possibly make creamy and soft scones, too.  I also has the problem using scone cutter as it makes large scone that takes longer time to cook making the scone dried.  Therefore, I am cutting them into smaller size by hand.  Even the scones have no split in the middle as the perfect scone, it is creamy and soft inside.  I have one this morning and it is still soft that I doesn't need to heat up in the microwave.  I don't feel too much guilt by putting lots of cream over it as it's made with buttermilk.  When I look at the fat content of the clotted cream selling at the supermarket and it's about 50% per 100g, not as bad as butter but I think I'll stick to whipped cream for my Devonshire Tea.

I gave some to Mum and she said she liked it so my scone making must be improving.  If you know how to make perfect scone with the split in the middle, please let me know.  Thank You!
      
Buttermilk Scones with Strawberries & Cream


3 cups self-raising flour
2 tablespoons caster sugar
40g butter
2 cups buttermilk
extra buttermilk for brushing
whipped cream
strawberry jam & fresh strawberries


  1. Preheat oven to 220C.  Line the lamington pan with baking paper.
  2. Rub butter with the flour with finger tips until resemble fine crumb.  Mix well in centre and add buttermilk.  
  3. Use a knife to cut the buttermilk through the flour to mix a soft, sticky dough.  Knead dough gently on floured surface.  Roll dough out to 2.5cm thickness.  Cut into 12 and place them close to each other in the pan.  Brush top with extra milk. ( I have 9 in one pan and 3 in a small pan)
  4. Bake 20 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tap over the top.  Serve scone with jam, strawberries and cream.
Source: adopted and modified from Australian Women's Weekly - Mix -Cakes, Muffins, Biscuits + Pudding






2 comments:

  1. Scones are the bomb especially when you add buttermilk to them and drizzle with succulent strawberries! They look fantastic and so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scones look so lovely and I am very sure they are very delicious with fresh berries!

    ReplyDelete