Monday, June 27, 2011

Egg, Tomato and Spinach Tarts


Kids have started the 2 weeks winter holiday and I'm taking the opportunities to relax and do a bit of craft.  I have been knitting scarfs and baby jumper for family and friend.  I love knitting in winter as it is the best thing to do while watching TV and it keeps you warm as well.  I hope I don't sound too much like an old granny.  We had this egg and tomato tart on Sunday for lunch.  I served it with baked beans with toast and pan-fried bacon wrapped in pineapple.  It was actually a breakfast and lunch together as we slept in.  

Have you got problem with filo pastry tearing into pieces after using the packet once or twice?  Instead of throwing away the pastry, I cut up into small square pieces to fit into the muffin pan.  The presentation is so nice and I am going to make this for breakfast next time if I have guest visiting me.  I also served this with HongKong style borsch soup that I will post later.  We really enjoy this relaxing and cosy Sunday lunch. 

Egg and Tomato Tarts
(make 4)

Ingredients:
4 eggs
2 bacon rashers, cut the shortcut bit into small pieces and use the rinds to roll up pineapple pieces OR
2 shortcut bacon, cut into small pieces
filo pastry, about 15cmx15cm
baby spinach leaves
4 cherry tomatos, halves
1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
oil

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180c.  Grease the muffin cups with oil.
  2. Lightly pan-fried the bacon, leave aside.
  3. Place 3 sheets of pastry into the muffin tin, brush with oil.  Repeat the process two more times until the tin is well covered.  
  4. Line the pastry cases with few spinach leaves, place the tomato cut side up, add some bacon pieces and chopped onions.  Carefully break an egg into the case.  If you are using a muffin tray, fill the unused hole with water.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg white has set.  Use a knife to lift up the tart and stand for 5 minutes before serving.




3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this! The last picture is my favorite of the tart. It looks like a great combo of flavors and just perfect for breakfast or a light dinner! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..that looks simply superb,dear!!will try this out..nice to hear abt your other hobbies..I too do knitting in winters..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful recipe,looks so colorful,delicious and healthy too.Nice preparation.

    ReplyDelete