Saturday, February 26, 2011

Baked Portuguese Chicken and Rice (Part 1)

There are two thoughts when I think of Portuguese Chicken.  One reminds me of my uncle as Portuguese Chicken is his speciality whenever there is a party.  The other reminds me of our family trip to Macau when I was little.  Portuguese chicken is a famous dish there, nearly everybody have tried it when visiting Macau.  My uncle's Portuguese chicken is Hong Kong style which is creamier and the Macau's is more spicy but not too hot.  I like both of them as I like anything to do with chicken.  Few years ago, I went to Macau with my family again and the taste of Portuguese Chicken is different to my childhood memory.  Don't know why the food from childhood memory always taste better.  There are so many versions of Portuguese chicken and mine is similar to the Hong Kong style.

Baked Portuguese Chicken and Rice

4 chicken thigh cutlets with bone
1 onion, cut into chuck pieces
1 teaspoon garlic
3 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons turmeric powder
1 tablespoon ground paprika
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plain flour
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper for marinate
1 1/2 tablespoon cornflour and 1 1/2 tablespoon of water for thickening

Method:

  1. Marinate the chicken with salt and pepper, leave for 1/2 hour. 
  2. Arrange sliced potato at the bottom of the casserole. Cover the chicken with egg, then coat it with flour.  
  3. Pour 1/2 cup oil in pan, shallow fry the chicken until it is lightly brown.  Lay the chicken onto the potato.
  4. Saute onion with 1 tablespoon of oil in a saucepan, stir in garlic until the onion is becoming soft.  Add in turmeric, paprika, stir for a minute, then add in coconut milk, evaporated milk and water.  Leave it at medium heat for a few minutes for the favour to develop.  Add in sugar and salt and thicken the sauce with the cornflour mix.
  5. Pour the creamy sauce over the chicken and baked with the lid on in a pre-heated 200c oven for 45 minutes.  Serve with steamed rice and vegetable.  









3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT --- Thank YOU (the only thing I changed was I bought chicken thighs with NO bone and cut into bite size pieces) We had no left overs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know you like the dish, it's my all time favourite dish!

    ReplyDelete