Thursday, February 2, 2012

Sushi with Cheese x 2


We are sushi lovers and I even dream of having a sushi restaurant sometimes. (Too much of a dream!) You don't really need to have raw fish for sushi if that's not your kind of food.  When I take my kids to the sushi bar, we are usually the one with the tallest stack of plates.  It's low fat (some) and gluten free and once you have tried to make one, you will just keep making more.


I had the prawns and cheese sushi in Hong Kong and I tried to recreate it here.  I brought the sushi mould from the Japanese bargain store in Brisbane. The moulded cheese sushi is great for making bento.  My kids love to have sushi to pack for their lunch for school as they are sick of having bread sometimes.

Prawn & Cheese Sushi


cooked butterfly prawns
cooked sushi rice
salt
sugar
rice vinegar
processed cheese
sweet chilli sauce
seasoned flying fish roes
wasabi (optional)

Method:
Mix 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar into 1/3 cup vinegar, warm in the microwave for 30s, season with the rice and leave cool a little.  Wet your hands so the rice won't stick to your hand. Shape rice into 4cmx2cm  rectangular shape, dab a little wasabi onto the top if you like.  Then top with a piece of prawn and half piece of cheese.  Use a blow torch to brown the surface.  Then spoon in some fish roes and pour in some chilli sauce.

Kids Cheese Sushi


cooked sushi rice
salt
vinegar
dried sushi seaweed
processed cheese
tomato skin

Method:
Seasoned rice as above. Shape the sushi with the mould.  Use the other mould to make shape for the cheese.  Cut the shape for the bear's nose with cheese, shape for the eyes and ears, and love heart with seaweed and cut a tiny month with tomato skin for the bear's mouth. Serve with some salad and meat for the bento box.  You can replace ham for the cheese, too!

sushi mould
Kids Bento that my kids enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. All your cheese sushi are so thoughtfully made! Your kids are so lucky to eat these delicate treats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow u r awesome v nice...cheese and sushi never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This type of clever work and exposure!
    Keep up the fantastic works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.
    Also visit my web-site : sushi rice

    ReplyDelete