After realising that I'd made a mistake in putting all the tangzhong in making the pizza buns from the last post, I made the Chinese BBQ pork buns by putting 1/2 of the tangzhong as required from the original recipe. It's not so sticky, a little easier to handle and the taste and texture are still the same. I made six BBQ Pork buns and six buns with lotus seed paste. You may have seen these little buns selling at the pushing trolly at Yum Cha restaurant. If you can't find the Chinese BBQ pork, some left-over roast meat with gravy will be as good.
Chinese BBQ Pork Buns and Lotus Seed Paste Buns
25g bread flour
125ml (1/2 water and 1/2 milk)
Ingredients of bread:
1/2 of the Tangzhong
30g butter, cut up
55g caster sugar
370g bread flour
5g instant yeast
For the filling of BBQ Pork Buns:
1 cup of Chinese BBQ pork, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon Hoisen Sauce
1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Sugar
1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
dash of sesame oil
For the filling of Lotus Seed Paste Buns:
Store brought Lotus seed paste
egg, beaten for glazing
black sesame seeds and sunflower seeds for garnishing
- Mix water and milk mixture with the flour to make the tangzhong in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat and stir until it is thickened. When you see some "lines" appear in the mixture with the stir, it is ready. Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- Transfer the tangzhang into a small bowl, cover and fridge for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to use the tangzhang, leave it room temperature beforehand.
- Put the milk, egg and tangzhang into the bread machine, followed by the rest of the dry ingredients and add the yeast last. Press the "dough" button.
- When the dough is done, place the dough into a floured workbench. Knead with extra flour to form a smooth dough. Divide into 6 portions onto two paper-lined tray. Rest the dough at a warm place (a warm oven) for 15 minutes.
- Divide each portion into two, roll flat a little and fill with the fillings. Turn over and place onto the baking tray. Repeat for the rest of the dough. Make 12 buns. Rest in a warm place for a further 40 minutes.
- Brush the top with egg and garnish with either sesame seeds or sunflower seeds. Bake for 20 minutes at 180c.