Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Apple Turnover


On one weeknight, my daughter told me that she wanted to have an apple pie.  Then my son heard the conversation and he was so excited about having dessert for the night.  I don't usually make dessert on weekdays as we are too busy to think of something so indulgent.  I had some green apples and puff pastry and I had this calzone looking thing in my mind, perhaps I could make an easy dessert to make the kids happy.  It turned out very good and everyone had been spoiled by this simple dessert.

Apple Turnover
(make 4)

1 sheet of pastry
2 green apple
cinnamon
raw sugar
egg, beaten

Method:

  1. Peel and diced the apple into 1cm x 1cm cube.  Cook the apple in boiling water just covering the surface of the apple until the apple is tender. 
  2. Drain the excess juice and sweeten the apple with sugar, add in some cinnamon and leave cool.
  3. Cut the pastry into 4 little equal sized square.  Cut off the 4 little corners of each square.
  4. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg.  Spoon 1/4 of the stewed apple diagonally onto the square then fold it up and seal tightly.  Brush extra egg over the turnover and sprinkle extra sugar over.  Repeat the process for the remaining pastry.
  5. Preheat the oven at 230c, lined the baking tray with baking paper and bake the turnovers until they are puff and golden brown.  Serve warm with ice-cream.    

No comments:

Post a Comment