Thursday, March 31, 2011

Swedish Meatballs

The April issue of Super Food Ideas features 10 recipes for meatballs.  Since I have not tried Swedish meatballs before, I decide to give it a go.  I want to make the sauce fairly thick liked the cheese fondue but I have no Gouda or cheddar cheese at home so I replace that with Kraft cheese.  The result of using processed cheese is satisfying as the sauce is nice and smooth.  Nutmeg and mixed spice are usually added into dessert or milk based sauce.  I add some garlic to the sauce to enhance the taste.  My family loves it and give it a 10 out of 10.  I'm glad that I have discovered a new method of making meatballs.
  
Swedish Meatballs
Ingredients:
300g chicken mince
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1 teaspoon cornflour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
salt and pepper
breadcrumb

Cheese sauce:
2 tablespoon plain flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic mince
3 slices of Kraft processed cheese
salt
chives, chopped for garnish

Method:

  1. Add onions, egg, cornflour and salt and pepper to the mince and mix well.  Roll the meatballs into breadcrumb to make 20 meatballs.
  2. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a pan and cook the meatballs in slow to medium heat until cooked.
  3. Add flour and butter in a saucepan.  Cook and stir until butter melted, gradually add milk until the sauce is smooth.  Add garlic, nutmeg and mixed spice into the sauce and let it simmer for a few minutes.  Add the processed cheese and reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickened.
  4. Pour the hot cheese sauce into a bowl, add the meatballs and garnish with chives.  Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment