Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chicken, Leek and Pearl Barley Soup


As the seafood chowder is my daughter's new favourite, this chicken and pearl barley soup is my son's new favourite.  I like to throw in pearl barley when I make veggie soup, my son tells me that he likes pearl barley in the soup.  Well, I am surprised as he does not tell me he likes chocolate or chips! (maybe he doesn't like chocolate and chips but he LOVEs them)  So I make up this soup with the hope to use leek and pearl barley to create a new family favourite and I'm pleased that I have done that.  This recipe can easily change to a vegetarian soup by omitting the chicken and add in some celery or zucchini.  It's hearty and rich in fibre.  

My post of Egg, Spinach & Tomato tart has been chosen as the daily menu at Petitchef.  It's great!


I am submitting this post to participate ANU's Healthy Kitchen www.anuzhealthykitchen.blogspot.com special theme for July "Healthy Fibre & Protein Rich".  Join the fun cooking some wholesome food if you wish.


Chicken, Leek and Pearl Barley Soup


Ingredients:
2 chicken fillets, cut into small pieces
2 tomato, cut into chucks
2 carrots, cut into chunks
2 button mushroom, sliced
1 leek, cut into small pieces
1 cup pearl barley
2 heap tablespoons tomato paste
3 litres stock made from chicken bone

Method:

  1. Make the stock with bone.  
  2. Pan fried the leek with a little oil.  Then add the rest of the vegetable into the soup pot and let it simmer for 40 minutes or until the barley is soft.  The soup should thicken by then, seasoned with salt and pepper.




5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of pearl barley before but it sound delish. Loving this soup, hearty and warm and inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I need a bowl right now! Thanks for sharing such lovely recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for participating ....very nice recipe...will post the recipe at the end of the event...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love making big pots of hearty soup and then eating it as quick meal or snack for the week; this one looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chicken, barley, mushrooms..wow, I love this soup. So comforting and delicious.
    Thanks for sharing, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete