Coffee Cream Caramel
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 3/4 cup milk
300 ml lite thickened cream
1 teaspoon coffee powder
2 tablespoon hot water
1 tablespoon Kahlua
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved and bring to the boil. Boil rapidly without stirring for 5 minutes or until mixture starts to turn brown. (If over cook, you could burn the sugar) Pour the caramel into 8 ramekins to coat the base evenly.
- Lightly whisk eggs, sugar together in bowl. Combine coffee powder with hot water and coffee liqueur then add into the egg mixture.
- Combine milk and cream in a saucepan, bring to the boil. Leave the heat and gradually whisk into egg mixture. Pour custard through a fine strainer over the caramel to remove any tiny specks of eggs. Pour the custard into the ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in baking dish with boiling water to come 1/2 way of the dish. Bake in moderately slow oven for about 40 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Remove from water, let it cool to room temperature before refrigerating overnight. Turn onto serving plate when ready to eat. We have it straight after when the caramel is cool, can't wait till the next day.
Note: This recipe is adopted and modified from the cookbook "French Cooking Made Easy" published by the Australian Women's Weekly.