Saturday, April 30, 2011

Lemon & Pepper Chicken Burger with Garlic Mayonnaise

Well, it is May already, hasn't the year gone fast?  I decide that I should work on a special theme each month to cook something that I always want to make or something I have never done before.  In that case, I can challenge myself as well as extending my knowledge of cooking skills.  My theme for May is "Chicken." Chicken is so versatile that it can be stewed, baked, poached, steamed, smoked, grilled, crumbled, stir-fried as well as currying, make into meatballs and patties, roasting whole or being chopped and cooked into pasta or baked in pieces into crusty pie.  This chicken burger is a low sodium recipe as lemon and pepper with garlic are enough to bring the favour for this meal.  Add some bacon if you wish.  I have never made mayonnaise before (because of the fat content I'm worrying about) and I think it's worth the effort to do it if you are having it moderately.  It tastes much better than the bottle one sell in the store.

How about my sweet dessert and cake?  It is too dangerous to talk about chocolate, caramel, cream, butter and sugar for a month, I will post some of them in between when I find some good recipes.



Lemon & Pepper Chicken Burger with Garlic Mayonnaise
(serve 4)

250g chicken mince
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 piece of stale bread
1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon sour cream
4 burger buns
rocker leaves

Garlic Mayonnaise:
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon garlic mince
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
extra cracked black pepper

Method:

  1. Place the chicken in a mixing bowl, add the onion, lemon rind, pepper and sour cream.  Soak the bread with some water and chop into pieces, add into the chicken mince and mix until thoroughly combined.  You can add a bit of salt to the mince if you want.  Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions.
  2. Heat oil in pan, pan fry the patties on both sides until cooked.  Serve the patties with buttered buns with rocket leaves and mayonnaise and extra pepper. 
  3. To make the mayonnaise,  place the egg yolk, garlic, mustard, lemon juice and 1/2 of the oil in a food processor bowl.  Gradually add a bit more oil to the mixture until it reaches a thick consistency, season with sugar and salt.  If you don't eat raw egg, cook the sauce on top of a double saucepan over simmering water.  Do not allow water to touch base of bowl or top saucepan, whisk mixture constantly until it is warm enough, add more water if it becomes too thick.



No comments:

Post a Comment